Monday, August 15, 2011

Crypto Day 0.

Crypto 2011 has started with a nice long Board meeting yesterday, which was attended by both Nigel and me. The Board meeting was extra special, as it happened to coincide with the birthday of General Chair Tom Shrimpton. Overall, the meeting was rather fruitful. Some of the less surprising
decisions taken were to extend Matt Franklin's tenure as Editor in Chief of the Journal of Cryptology and to have Crypto 2013 in August at UCSB. This is of course just a tip of the iceberg, for those interested, on Tuesday there is the General Membership Meeting where more information will be made available (and Nigel has promised to blog about it).

The evening party was a happy reunion with friends and colleagues, but the academic part of the conference will only start in half an hour or so. Before I head of to Campbell Hall, just a small anecdote. On my to Crypto, I had a change over in Detroit. After some queuing, I arrived with my suitcase at the Custom Officer. He asked where I was going and what I was doing. After I told him I was going to attend Crypto, he was wondering whether perhaps I might be carrying an Enigma machine! Unfortunately not, but it did put a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment